Re: Rounding and Backing with PVA

When you talk about people having trouble rounding & backing after
gluing up the entire spine, are they letting the PVA dry completely
before rounding?

I ask because we use PVA and glue up the entire spine every day.
This is true both with periodicals in library binding and with
limited editions in hand binding.  We are also using internally
bonded copolymer PVA (Wisdom R172DT).

After gluing up the spines of several books we let them dry for
approximately 1/2 an hour to an to an hour.  We want the books to be
dry to the touch but not completely dry.  Then we round the text
blocks, either with a hammer for edition work or a rounding machine
for library binding.

Granted the dryer the PVA the harder it is to get a good round, but I
responded to this string because I'm surprised to hear that there are
problems at all.

Backing is a separate issue all together.  Different rules apply to
different books (i.e. sewing method, sig. size, paper, etc.).

- Duncan
--
     "All my life I wanted to be someone;
   I guess I should have been more specific."

   Duncan   http://www.campbell-logan.com

        Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
              Minneapolis, MN