Ledger Style Binding

I was wondering if anyone could help me with suggestions on how to make a
'ledger style'  book. I was looking at the Digital Scriptorium Site and
found a few pictures of this style. The well-usedness, almost-home-made
style appeals to me and I also hope it is strong. I thought I would try and
make a model of one. To explain further what I mean, the best picture of
this style I have found is at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/scriptorium/DSImages/DS002746aB.jpg

but if you put ledger in the "binding" field of the search fields at that
site, you get many examples of this type of binding.

Does anyone know of a source which describes this structure in detail? Or
could explain to me how it is made?

Hopefully,
Linda Newbown
Canberra, Australia