Re: This Week's Chapter / Gilding

Hi!

>>Richard, can you tell me how you did the "gilding" in photoshop? and
>>
> does it
>
>>look reasonably metallic when you print it out?
>>

> I haven't tried to print it. This is an electronic version of the
> book, and I just did this to make it look reasonably good onscreen.
> The paper version is of course real gold. I suppose if a publisher
> wanted to reproduce the book cheaply that might be an issue, but I'd
> probably like to see it done the way George Braziller does the
> illuminated manuscripts, with a separate printing of metallic ink for
> the gold.

As an alternative, the ALPS printers do have the ability to print
metallic inks -- the supplies list have gold, silver, and bronze "inks."
I've not used one of these printers so I have no idea how good or bad it
looks. (As I remember, there was a thread about the Alps printers a year
or two ago on this list.) The URL for the web site is:

http://www.alpsusa.com/RetailPrinter/RetailPrinter.html

I also remember a heat-tranfer "gold leaf" that worked on toner (from a
laser printer or copier.) I saw it a few years ago, and not sure if it's
still being made. It looked good (I saw it used for exhibition cards),
but I don't know what the long-term quality is like.

On the really cheap (but fun) side, there are opaque metallic ink
gel-roller pens. I bought mine for $4.50 at Office Depot, and got a set
of gold, bronze, and silver.

MJH

--
Mark  -- University of Michigan
Handel-- Current Location: Ann Arbor, MI