Re: More about mouldy books

TREATMENT FOR MOLD AND MILDEW

Method 1: Place a quarter-size amount of thymol in a piece of loose-fibered
paper ( tissue, Kleenex, filter paper, etc.) ; fold to enclose the crystals
loosely. Place the book and the packet in a 10 x 12"(or jumbo) zip-lock bag
and zip it almost all the way across, except for a small opening. Insert a
soda straw and draw out all the remaining air, being careful not to inhale
any thymol fumes.Seal and leave for 1 month. Thymol is reusable.

Method 2: (For one or several books)

Construct an airtight box of wood or cardboard and fit a low-wattage light
bulb vertically on base. Place the fanned-out book(s) inside the box and
balance a few thymol crystals (or paradichlorobenzene) on the bulb; the
gentle heat evaporates the chemical. Leave for 2 or 3 weeks. Mothballs are
less effective as a substitute.

WARNING! Mold and mildew spores may cause damage to the lungs. Work in a
well-ventilated place or outside; wear a mask. Thymol is toxic; when using
Method I, be very careful not to inhale or ingest the drawn-out air. Keep
thymol and paradichlorobenzene out of reach of children.

Stains that remain are harmless to the paper; chemicals that remove them
can be damaging so it may be best to leave them.

This is good information to publicize at the beginning of the wet system.

Betty

At 01:17 PM 12/6/01 +0000, you wrote:

>On the above subject, a friend of mine has acquired some interesting books
>from a jumble sale, but many of them are mouldy.
>
>I wonder if any of you proper bookbinders out there (I am a book-maker
>rather than -binder) would have any advice for him on how to renovate them,
>or at least stop the mould spreading? Would cleaning with the eraser crumbs
>as mentioned in recent emails be appropriate?
>
>Any comments would be very much appreciated.
>Thank you
>Deb Rindl
>Talk Sense Press
>London