photo printing

This may not seem off topic but it does relate to books.  I am interested in
printing black and white photos on a laser printer--to be used in connetion
with making a book. But I am not happy with the quality--very gray. I know I
could go to a more traditional way of printing the photos but I am really
interested in this technology for this project. I need to educate myself
about this type of printing. Can anyone recommend a book or a web site that
may help me with this? Or tell me of your experience with photos printed on
the laser printer?
Patricia Grass