Re: photo printing

From: "Alan P. Hayes" <ahayes@BERKSHIRE.RR.COM>

I've had some pretty good results printing photos on an HP LaserJet
5000. This is the first laserprinter I've used that I could say this
about. The 5000 is a true 1200 dpi printer and additionally is
adjustable for different weights and textures of paper. I've been
very pleased with prints I've made on Rising Stonehenge and Rives BFK
with it.

Laserprinted b&w photos are not as refined as a good inkjet print can
be, but with the right software and careful preparation you can get
some striking images, at least with the 5000.

--
Alan P. Hayes
Meaning and Form: Writing, Editing and Document Design

Dear Alan

I have one of these too and have been quite impressed with the quality of
photo rendering compared to earlier models. Compared, however, to the inkjet
work I'm seeing from students (I teach digital bookmaking in the photo dept at
Art Center College of Design) it just doesn't have it. Inkjets have seemingly
more variability when it comes to paper selection also; perhaps more useful in
regard to bookwork?

For rendering type, however, the 5000 series is quite remarkable. A great
machine; especially with the duplexor. Thanks for the info on Stonehenge.
Never could get that to print well letterpress so now maybe I have a use for it.

All best

Gerald