slide scanning & output

Howdy all you helpful folks,
I'm wondering if anybody out there can answer some questions about slide
scanning. (Not exactly book arts related, but certainly art career
related!) I have slides that I want to scan in order to Photoshop some
small flaws in the image. Then I want to take the corrected digital file
and generate a slide from that -- a slide that will be as good as any other
slide for purposes of projection & duplication. Here are the questions:
1. At what resolution do I need to scan the original slide &/or what size
should the file be?
2. Are there other factors to consider besides resolution? How come one
photo place charges $5 to scan the slide (resulting in a 31 MB file) &
other places charge $30 & up for what seems like the same thing?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Indigo Som
indigo@well.com

Poets don't have hobbies; they have obsessions --Leonard Nathan