Re: slide scanning & output

I suspect that the higher dollar slides you speak of are done with drum
scanners, which produce the highest quality--yes, this is much more
expensive than scanning with a flatbed scanner with a transparency top. Many
of these are designed for web use only (lo resolution) despite what some
vendors will tell you. If you are going to project the slides, you may not
notice the difference between a flatbed and a drum scanner, provided all
other factors are well covered. I have had students who scanned negatives
with a flatbed at 1200dpi, messed with them in photoshop, then output to
film again using a film printer, and put those resulting "negs" into an
enlarger to make silver prints.

Normally, you'd always want to scan at the highest resolution. But the
resulting files can be so large they become hard or even impossible to work
with. The ideal resolution for you depends on the input and output devices,
how far the projector is from the screen, etc. If you can, do some tests and
try scanning and outputting at different resolutions, using the same
hardware each time, and see where the quality becomes unacceptable for you.

You will never be able to get a slide "as good as" the original unless the
original is a high quality digital file. All dupes and scans of silver-based
slides will lose something in the translation. But I have gotten good
results of making slides via a film printer from programs such as
Illustrator and Photoshop.

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH
513-233-9588

Remember: Book arts will save the world!