Re: scanning slides

>Has anyone tried to project a slide onto a flatbed scanner with the
>scanner's interior light source disabled during the scan? There are a lot
>of issues like focus, light projection intensity; but it might make for an
>interesting student lab project.

I read in a computer magazine some while ago of a cheaply produced
device that used the scanner's own light, reflected it up, and down
through the slide from above, via prisms. Ingenious - apparently the
results weren't superb, but worked well enough for some.

I think this device might have been available commercially, but I'm
not sure. It's advantage was that it could work with any flatbed,
even those without slide scanning attachments available, and it
was cheaper that buying attachments for those with.

But I don't have any further leads to find such a thing, sorry!

Tim Sheppard                    tim@lilliput-p.win-uk.net
Lilliput Press   -   Publisher of fine books in miniature
England                         http://www.lilliput.co.uk
                      The Storytelling FAQ is hosted here