Re: Publishers' Page of Shame

Hello:

I am a librarian in the State of Maine and on the Maine Library Listserv. I wanted to explain what the "Publisher's Hall of Shame" is all about. We librarians are finding that the
binds on particular books just do not last very long. I just recently sent back a book to our distributor because it fell apart after three circulations. It was a reinforced
binding, not to be confused with a library binding. A reinforced binding basically has the signatures stitched together, but the binding thread is thin and doesn't last very long.
I am a bookbinder by night and librarian by day. I repair all our books at my library and am shocked as the poor quality of glue and binding standards.  I guess our biggest
complaint (and concern) is that books are costing us more yes are made poorly.

The list was created to see if there was a pattern to these poorly bound books. For example, if most of the books came from Simon & Schuster or if a particular title was bound
badly. We figured if that was the case, we could contact the publishers with our concerns. But it seems that the problem comes from a number of publishers. The good new is that
our vendor (Baker & Taylor) will allow us to return books for credit within a six month period if they have fallen apart.

Anastasia S. Weigle
Director
Warren Memorial Library
479 Main Street