Re: The World From Here- UCLA Hammer Museum

I've recently returned from a visit to California, primarily to meet my new
grandson.
I had the opportunity to see a fine exhibition at the UCLA Hammer Museum in
Westwood. More than four hundred treasured books from thirty-two California
library collections such as: the Getty, the Huntington, The Clark and UCLA
are beautifully exhibited and exciting to see.
These treasures will be on exhibition until January 13, 2002, and I highly
recommend you try to see it.

The World From Here  includes rare manuscripts, and books with eight themes:
    1. Starting Here- California related printed objects
    2. The Printed Word- development of printing
    3. Word and Image-Imagery, scientific illustration, illustrated
literature and political imagery
    4. Earth and Universe-science and astronomy, natural history, philosophy
and extraordinary medical books-Don't miss Koichi Shibata's Obstetrical
Pocket-Phantom (1880) on the website.
    5. Lands of Hope and Fear-exploration on land and in space spanning seven
centuries
    6. Ingenious Structures-architecture and a wonderful board game Royal
Game of the Dolphin (1821) which you can see on the website.
    7. The Practice of Everyday Life- cookbooks, children's books
    8. Fully Alive-The life of the mind, spirit and imagination including
religion, music and literature.

    The Hammer has set up an excellent website and many of the book images
can be clicked on to fill your screen with delight at:
<A HREF="http://www.calbook.org/theworldfromhere/">
http://www.calbook.org/theworldfromhere/</A>

It's the next best thing to being there.

Enjoy!
Alice Simpson
NYC
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tangobook/">