Re: Bookbind tool

Anastasia:

To solve the problem (because I've never seen a "tool" to do that) I cut
the shape I want out of thick, hardened masonite. Then I place the cover
board with the masonite shape on top between a couple of heavy boards and
pop it into my 20 ton paper press and BINGO! compressed book board where I
wanted it. For editions, as I do, it works well.

It occurs to me that if you don't have a press, you could just run the car
over it (I'm not kidding), if it's just for one book. However, for an
edition, it might take rather long, running the family auto over 100
covers, and the other drivers in the family might want to use the car once
in a while. ;-)

Pat Baldwin

At 10:40 AM 12/17/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello fellow book artists and bookbinders:
>
>I am looking for a tool or tools that make either circular, oval or square
>impressions on bookboards. When I attach a label on the front
>cover of a book, I would like it to be a bit below the surface of the board.
>Where can I find or even make such a tool?  I'm not really sure
>how best to describe what I am looking for. Hopefully there will be someone
>out there that will know what I am talking about.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Anastasia Weigle
>"In A Bind" Studio
>10 Longwood Avenue