cover embossing

I too use the technique using an x-acto knife and removing layers of
bookboard to get a recess in the board.  One trick I learned for starting
the cloth embossing process is to cut a piece of closed cell foam (the kind
of foam campers use to sleep on) the size of the bed of my nipping press.

I layer the the cover board with cloth glued on and the foam, put it in the
press and tighten.  It doesn't always give the sharpest edges but I go over
it carefully with a bone folder and it really speeds up the process.

Artemis BonaDea
North Bound Books