Re: Heat and PVA

When we work with large materials (whether its endpapers or boxes), we use
really large brushes (2 inch diameter) which allow you to apply a large amount
of adhesive quickly.

Load the brush with as much as you can control from glue pot to board, take
deep breathes, and brush out in long firm strokes.  You eliminate numerous
little fussy brushstrokes and will surprise yourself at how quick and easy it
is.

Sometimes it helps to thin the PVA with methyl cellulose (say 4 parts PVA to
one meth cell). The meth cell adds slipperiness and a bit more moisture (thus
wet-time) that  is useful.

We rarely have warping problems with these techniques.

I would be worried that you couldn't really heat and activate the adhesive
evenly across a large surface, especially with a small tacking iron and
through the board.

Ann Frellsen
Collections Conservator
Emory University Libraries