Re: Heat and PVA

John,

I have made quite a few large clamshell boxes and have always had success
using the following method for the constructing the cases:

1) Working on a hard surface large enough to accommodate the entire cover
lay out the boards on the cloth and mark corner positions.  2) Mix paste or
methyl cellulose in with the PVA to extend wet time. Put adhesive in paint
tray and charge roller. I don't know how the paint rollers are actually
graded but I like the ones that have a medium nap. 3) Apply glue to cloth
area for one board, position board and spend enough time boning it down to
allow the adhesive to set. It is important to check around the perimeter of
the board for the glue that squeezes out and remove it so it doesn't create
an undesirable ridge for the turn-ins. 4) Place heavy weights on board,
making sure it is weighted around all the edges and corners as well as the
center. Check the perimeter for excess glue again. 5) Repeat steps 3 and 4
for the remaining pieces. 6) Let everything sit under weight until the
adhesive has had plenty of time to dry. 7) Now you can brush glue the
turn-ins one at a time. 8) Weight everything again and let it sit overnight.

I have never felt I achieved a good bond using a tacking iron to fix a spot
that didn't glue down properly. If others on the list have had success with
this I would be interested in suggestions.

Theresa
Bath, ME