Re: Heat and PVA

Yesterday, Theresa wrote:  (concerning glueing large areas)

>I have never felt I achieved a good bond using a tacking iron to fix a
spot
that didn't glue down properly. If others on the list have had success
with
this I would be interested in suggestions.

*******************

We have found that if an unadhesed bubble forms in the middle of a
glued/pasted area, the best way to remedy the situation is to inject
some paste with a needle and syringe, (not too much), and very carefully
bone it down, and perhaps place it in the nipping press in order to even
out any surface inconsistencies which may appear.  Sometimes, injecting
a very small amount of water is sufficient to reactivate the paste or
glue.

Venture forth and obtain a stock of different sized needles and
syringes, from a doctor friend or a medical/veterinary supplier, and
keep them to hand.  Most useful in many aspects of restoration work.

Peter Krantz

Book Restorations.
Sydney,
Australia.