Re: Handmade Book Cloth

In a message dated 12/22/01 5:14:12 PM, rpatt@PEOPLEPC.COM writes:

<< My throat tends to swell and close up whenever I iron these fabrics
   and then use PVA paste. I do not know if this brand of PVA is like=20
   Jade 403 but I do remember reading about some possible health hazards
   associated with the use of Jade 403. Is there a conventional wisdom
   about using lots of PVA? I'm sure that wheat paste poses no health
   problems and maybe I'm just shooting myself in the foot using PVA. >>

I can't say anything definitive about the PVA you are using, but most fabrics
have chemical stiffeners, etc. added to them to make them more attractive on
the bolt. You are probably allergic to these (do you also have this reaction
in fabric stores and/or new furniture places?) Heat from the iron will
encourage the release of these chemicals into the air. If you can wash the
fabrics before doing anything to them, that would help. You should take
seriously your physical reaction to your processes, as they can become li
fe-threatening. Barbara Harman