Re: Help needed

Russell,
The short answer is that they should probably be backed with Japanese
paper using cooked wheat starch as the adhesive.

But this is not something an untrained person should attempt because
there are altogether too many things which can go wrong.

The easiest thing is to sell them as they are and let the new owner take
them to a paper conservator they trust for treatment.

Alternatively, you can look for a paper conservator in your area and
work through that person.

Or, you can ship them to me; I'll examine them, generate a brief condition
report and a treatment proposal spelling out what is to be done and the
cost of treatment.  There is a examination charge, varying with the amount
of material to be examined.

Jack

>Although this doesn't directly deal with books, I thought someone may be of
>help to me.
>
>I have received from a museum library a number of portfolios with pages and
>plates in fragile condition. I would like to preserve these by backing them.
>What should I use and where can I find this material. Any suggestions will
>be appreciated.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Russell R. duPont
>Bookseller