Backing Book Cloth

I have been using a fairly heavy Japanese handmade paper for backing book
cloth. It has an uncomfortable bulk but is only about $5 a sheet at the
local art store. I would like to use 'usumino' paper because of its lighter
weight and excellent strength but the online sources I have checked price it
at about $25 a sheet.

I have been tempted to use the rolled 'kozo' paper designed for sumi-e brush
painting but I do not think that there is enough strength in the paper. It
is mulberry but does not appear to have especially long fibers.

I would appreciate any suggestions for something in between 'heavy & cheap'
and 'light & expensive.'

Thanks.

Bob Patterson
Portland, OR