Tanned bronze

Hello All,
   Does anyone know what causes the "bronzing"
effect when some leathers are redyed? I have read that
high concentrations of aniline dye powder will cause this,
and that certainly seems to be true, but I have noticed
bronzing with very weak concentrations in water,
in ethanol, and in methylated ethanol. The effect seems most
pronounced on Oasis goat with water-soluble dyes, and least
noticeable on fair (undyed) calf using Fiebing leather stains;
apart from that, the bronzing seems most unpredictable.
I wonder if it might have to do with the tanners' finishes on the
skins...
Any thoughts would be most welcome; any cold hard facts
would be great too.
Thankya!
Bill Cotter
Milou Bookbinding & Conservation