Leather Dye fixative

Greetings to the List,

We have recently been given a packet of about 30 skins, about the size
of a large rabbit skin. Short of checking with a tannery, we are unable
to ascertain from which animal the skins have derived.  They have been
thinned and dyed black.  Their flesh side is closely cropped, to a
smooth suede.  They are lovely skins, and perfect for suede bindings,
but the black dye has not been fixed properly, and comes off
excessively
when handled.

What might we do to fix the black dye?  Which mordant is applicable?

Thank you if you can assist.

Peter Krantz

Book Restorations.
Sydney,