Re: Dyeing

Dear Peter and List Members,

This topic is now getting a little more complicated!

Firstly, one should be aware that with sueded leathers, what may appear to
be 'loose' dye is in fact the remnants of leather dust from the sueding
process.  The dust may be removed with a good shaking or brushing.

Previously, we were discussing vegetable tanned leathers dyed with acid
based dyes.   If we KNEW that your 'large rabbit' skins were vegetable
tanned and also that they were dyed using acid based dyes we would recommend
fixing the dye with a weak solution of formic or acetic acid, ensuring all
the while, that the acidity of the leather is not allowed to drop below pH
3.0 - 3.5.  I would like to emphasise that we carry out these processes
under carefully controlled conditions and we would not recommend that they
be undertaken lightly.

If the skins have been tanned with a tannage other than one that is
vegetable based, e.g using chrome salts (or other mineral salts) then the
dye used could be one of several types, e.g. acid, basic, sulphur, 'direct',
.....   In this case we would strongly recommend that you contact the
manufacturer and seek their expert advise.

kind regards,

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.