Fwd: Wrapped Words: Handmade Books from Cuba's Ediciones Vigia opens at Kresge Art Museum

Don't know if y'all have seen this - alas, Michigan is pretty far away from
South Carolina.

>Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:40:38 -0500
>From: Julie Thomson <thomso16@MSU.EDU>
>Subject: Wrapped Words: Handmade Books from Cuba's Ediciones Vigia opens at
>  Kresge Art Museum
>Sender: Museum discussion list <MUSEUM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
>Approved-by: thomso16@MSU.EDU
>To: MUSEUM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
>Wrapped Words: Handmade Books from Cuba's Ediciones Vigia at Kresge Art Museum
>
>A new exhibition, Wrapped Words: Handmade Books from Cuba's Ediciones
>Vigia opens at Kresge Art Museum on Wednesday, January 9 and continues
>through March 17, 2002.  This exhibition features over 50 handmade books
>from the publishing cooperative Ediciones Vigia in Mantanzas, Cuba.  These
>books are part of the MSU Libraries Special Collections and represent one
>of the largest collections of handmade books from Cuba in the world.
>
>We invite you to the opening reception, hosted by the Friends of the MSU
>Libraries, for Wrapped Words on Sunday, January 13, 2002 from 2-5
>p.m.  This complimentary reception will include talks on contemporary
>Cuba, the Wrapped Words exhibition, as well as refreshments.   At 2:30
>p.m. James D. Spaniolo, Dean of the College of Communication Arts and
>Sciences will give a talk on "Impressions of Contemporary Cuba."  At 3
>p.m. guest curator, Jeanne Drewes, will lead a Gallery Walk of the exhibition.
>
>A number of additional events and activities have been planned for this
>exhibition.  These include film screenings, of Buena Vista Social Club,
>Vampiros en la Habana, and Finding Fidel: A Young Man's Journey through
>Cuba, as well as lectures by the guest curator, visiting artists, and
>museum staff.  A complete schedule of related events can be found on the
>Kresge website.
>
>Admission to Kresge Art Museum and most of its events is free.  Kresge Art
>Museum is located in East Lansing, Mich. on the campus of Michigan State
>University.  The museum is open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.,
>Thursday until 8 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. The museum
>is fully accessible to persons with disabilities.  For additional
>information about Kresge Art Museum, please call the museum at
>517-355-9834 or visit
><http://www.msu.edu/unit/kamuseum>http://www.msu.edu/unit/kamuseum.  The
>Wrapped Words exhibition is made possible by the Michigan Humanities Council.
>
>After its display at Kresge Art Museum the Wrapped Words exhibition will
>travel to the Minnesota Center for Books Arts in Minneapolis (April 20-
>May 31, 2002), the Harold Washington Library Center in Chicago (June
>29-August 25, 2002), the Spencer Museum of Art at the University of Kansas
>(November 2- December 15, 2002), and the Marsh Art Gallery at the
>University of Richmond (January 17-February 28, 2003).  Additional venues
>after February 2003 are possible.
>
>Julie Thomson
>Community Outreach Coordinator
>Kresge Art Museum
> [...]

Anne T. Lane, Collections Manager
York County Culture & Heritage Commission
4621 Mount Gallant Road
Rock Hill SC 29732-8666
803-329-2121, ext. 104
Fax 803-329-5249