Re: Plastic cutter sticks

In a message dated 1/13/02 10:47:11 AM, WeSpeakVolumes@AOL.COM writes:

<< Does anyone know of a source for paper cutter sticks, other than having to
buy them by the dozen?

DIFFERENT APPROACH:
I have not changed the cutting stick on my guillotine in over 20 years as I
use a self-healing cutting mat on the surface (see NOTE at end). The mat is a
standard 18" (front to back) and is cut to the width of the surface (see
NOTE).  The paper/book is on the mat when the cutter is being used. The blade
invariably cuts at a different location most of the time, so that a clean cut
is achieved everytime. We also tend to use a piece of chipboard (or similar)
under the paper/book that is to be cut.  [We used to have a piece of binder
board on the cutting surface, but it did not last long. And, the binder board
can have bits of metal that will nick the blade.]
NOTE: IMPORTANT --- the same is true with the cutting sticks -- It is
important that the blade only enter the mat (or cutting stick) a small
amount. Most cutters should have an adjustment to keep the blade from cutting
too deep. Set the blade so that it is cutting to a proper depth. It should
also be uniform, i.e., it should not cut too deep on one end. When the blade
is properly set and adjusted, the mat should last for a very long time.
Good Luck
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695