altered books

can anyone tell me about altered books please,  I keep seeing this term =
and wondering what you all mean by it. If I buy an old book, remove the =
text block and replace it with a block of blank sections, is that an =
altered book? What else?
Also, when you use paste papers as covers for boxes or books, do you =
coat it with Primal or any protective coating? And...if anyone has a =
Best Paste Paper Recipe Ever, could you please send it to me - offline =
please, I'm thinking too basic for this exalted list. And thanks =
everyone, by the way for all your contributions. I like it here.
Many thanks, Carol