Re: altered books

The term "altered book" usually refers to a regularly published book that an
artist has altered in some way. Those ways can include the one you mention,
ie, replacing the "guts" with blank pages, but it's usually more expressive
than that: marking through some of the type and letting other words show
through, for example. I once gave an altered book assignment in a college
book arts class and was amazed at what the students came up with. One drove
nails through the cover so the book was almost impossible to open. A good
resource for this and other book genres is "Artists' Books: A Critical
Anthology and Sourcebook." Also the web site about Tom Phillips that crops
up on this list from time to time, as Phillips is a well-known practioner.
One of Phillips' books, "A Humament" is perhaps most famous examples of an
altered book.

Good luck!

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH
513-233-9588

Remember: Book arts will save the world!