Re: Thomas Wood - 19th C English Bookbinder

>From: M & M Cirfi Walton <villa-urbana@SYMPATICO.CA>
>To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: Thomas Wood - 19th C English Bookbinder
>Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:40:55 -0500

>Does anyone know about a Thomas Wood whom we think worked as a
>bookbinder in the 19th C in England?  He is mentioned in Middleton's
>book but that is all.
>
>Many thanks,
>Mercedes :-)

Hello Mercedes
   There was a firm in London that flourished in the
1800s called H. T. Wood---it went bankrupt in the
1930s but had for many years a reputation for high
quality work. It was run by Thomas Harrison, after whom
a bookbinding competition was named.
   The above info is from Mirjam Foot's essay on
Harrison---it is included in her "Studies in
the History of Bookbinding", Scolar Press, 1993.
   Hope this gives you a lead--I couldn't find anything
more in my limited library!
Yours,
   Bill Cotter
Milou Bookbinding & Conservation