Re: [Help with edge gilding of books]

Randy-

I did some gold leaf work under the tutelage of a very expert sign
painter many years ago.  He worked directly from the book of leaf,
holding the book in his left hand, and cutting the leaf with the =

little fingernail of his right hand, and then picking it up with
the gilder's tip (brush)and laying it on the window he was gilding.
The size was one or two small gelatin caps in a cup of water, and
the gold was then backed with enamel or varnish after it dried.

For surface gilding, where it didn't show through a window, he would
lay a piece of kitchen waxed paper over the leaf in the book,  rub it
lightly until it attached to the wax paper, and then transfer it to =

the object to be gilded, and then rub it off onto the sizing, a slow
drying enamel.  If you want gold leaf already stuck to the backing =

paper, ask for patent leaf.

He left the little fingernail longer than the others to facilitate =

cutting, and it seemed to work quite well.  The fingernail will press
the edge of the leaf ever so slightly to the paper, and the gilder's
tip will pull the piece of leaf you want away, while the edge of the
remainder will hold fast until you come back for it.

Gold Leaf Techniques for the Sign Painter, by LeBlanc, is a very good
book for information on handling and applying gold leaf.  I think it
doesn't cover edge gilding of books, but it might be worth borrowing
from a library just to pick up some pointers from someone who has
applied a lot of gold.

LeBlanc did mention that when the gilder's tip wouldn't pick up the =

leaf after touching it to one's hair, a few drops of hair oil brushed
through the hair would likely get it working again.

I realize this isn't specifically "edge gilding" but do hope it is
helpful.

Kind regards,

Tony Archer

Randy Ridley <randy@ANR.NET> wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on using gold
leaf to guild the edges of books.

I have been trying to learn this from "Book Binding by Hand" by Laurence
Town (with a few modifications) and am running into a few problems.

Any help is appreciated.
Randy