Hot stamping with Gold Leaf

Since we've gotten onto the subject of gold leaf, I would like to hear more
about using gold leaf for hot stamping and die stamping rather than hand
finishing.  I've looked this up in some manuals, where there usually vague
instructions at best.  I don't have every manual, but have looked at :

Edith Diehl, Arthur Johnson, Laura Young, Nicholson, Pamela Richmond,
Phillip Smith, and John Mitchell.  Can anyone suggest something, or have I
missed a reference?  I would assume that older, more industrial references
might have it, like Vaughn, Pleger, Zaehnsdorf?

I would assume you would glaire overall with something like shellac, and
then use an oil or vaseline before laying the gold overall, stamp, wipe off
excess.  Am I close?

Or make a blind impression first, remove, glair the impression, replace and
stamp again?

Does the approach vary with leather, paper, book cloth?  Production hints?
I would like to hear something before I start laying out a lot of gold....

Every time I see a nice 19th century publishers binding I admire the
beautiful stamping acheived with the nicely cut dies and gold leaf.

Any hints greatly appreciated!

Jake Benson