Hot stamping with Gold Leaf

Dear Jake,
I believe that John J. Pleger's BOOKBINDING, The Inland Printer Company,
1924, contains the most precise and extensive printed description of
embossing and blocking with gold and artificial leaf and colours on all sorts
of materials, some 28 octavo pages. The book went through several editions,
and contains a wealth of still useful information, including a great section
on edge gilding and decorating.
Carolyn Horton taught me long ago to always (excepting in the case of
blocking plastics) use gold leaf and egg glaire (gilding powder in the case
of velvet or watered silk) in hot stamping.
A shellac glaire will never give quite as bright an impression as egg glaire.
One uses the same processes one would use if hand tooling any given material.
Applying glaire over the entire surface saves time, but one always gets a
neater, cleaner job by making a blind impression, glairing only the
impression, and then stamping.
Carolyn had a great recipe for glaire, by the by, attributed as I recall to
an Italian 16th century manuscript. It was white of one egg, half a shell of
water, just under a pinch of salt, and just over a pinch of sugar, beaten
together, let stand, and strained as per all recipes. The salt acts as a
preservative and to further close the leather pores in the impressions, the
sugar retains a bit of moisture. Myself, I add a bit more water, improving
and easing the flow of the glaire in the impressions. Best,
James