From: Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.philobiblon.com
[mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Katie Harper
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 9:56 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Advice greatly appreciated

Seth:

Don't be fearful of technology obsolescence when purchasing a good laser
printer (Laser Jet, by the way, is a brand belonging to Hewlitt Packard, but
there are a lot of other good laser printers on the market.) I'm still using
an Apple Laserwriter Select 360 that I bought in 1995, and at 600dpi,
8.5x11, it works for 99.9% of my projects. I do duplex printing by printing
out side one and turning the paper over to print side two. A bit of extra
work, but it can save a lot of money. You'll find a wide range of printers
at 1200 dpi or better these days that cost a lot less than what I paid for
my 600 dpi in 1995.

I think you are wise to seek recommendations. I'd recommend that you list
among your priorities the ability of the printer to accept a range of
papers. This is one limitation that my laser printer suffers from. Anything
over 65# index will jam. Since you sound like you are going to be printing
high quality books, you need high quality paper to work in your printer.

Good luck!

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH
513-233-9588

Remember: Book arts will save the world!