Re: Advice greatly appreciated

Seth:

I have published limited edition, hand bound books for 20 years. I started
out doing them letterpress, but when I discovered the world of computers
about 10 years ago, I never looked back. I work entirely in Corel Draw,
Fractal Painter and Photoshop and print on an Epson Stylus 850. I don't
really worry about the lightfastness or colorfastness (ie, water damage)
because most all my books go into private or corporate collections and are
considered rare books (being only editions of about 60)and are not opened
or used very often. I have printed on my own handmade papers as well as a
great variety of commercial papers of varying thicknesses with good success.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Good luck on your new venture. I know you'll enjoy it.

Pat Baldwin

>> My big question, and what I would greatly appreciate
>> advice on, is that I'm about to purchase a laserjet
>> printer, and not sure how much printer I actually
>> need, especially when just starting out. Quality is
>> important to me, and I'm not looking to do cheap,
>> print-on-demand knock-offs. These will be good books,
>> by good authors, just not printed in bulk quantities
>> or otherwise mass-produced. Because I'm not planning
>> on producing a huge number of copies, printing speed
>> isn't so important to me. For obvious reasons, duplex
>> printing capability is something I want. A few people
>> have told me that a HP 4+ (or equivalent 600 dpi
>> printer of whatever make) will be fine for what I'm
>> planning, and the quality will be good. Which sounds
>> good, but I'm also not afraid to spend a little more,
>> to bump up to 1200 dpi, if the end product will be
>> that much better. My main concern is that I don't want
>> to skimp initially and save a couple hundred dollars,
>> only to find myself a few months later wishing I'd
>> bumped up to a better printer. But then, if a simpler
>> solution will provide what I'm after, there's no
>> reason to spend more on bells and whistles, if they're
>> truly not necessary.
>>
>> That's my basic story, and I'm mainly looking for
>> advice from people in the field, who have done this
>> sort of thing, as far as what you'd suggest to someone
>> starting out. Thanks so much for any help.
>>
>> Seth

If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before.
Pat Baldwin