Archival inks

I'm following the discussion of printers with interest.  I've heard some
talk of Epson printers being really effective with color, and taking
archival inks to boot.  I've also heard that some earlier models accept
other brands of ink, while later models only accept Epson inks.  Can
anybody share knowledge about this?

Thanks,
Cara Schlesinger