Re: wax

In a message dated 1/24/02 7:09:30 AM, A@AEGRASSO.COM writes:

<< ...........Paraffin or bees wax when
waxing thread? Does it matter to conservators? Are there other
considerations? >>

*************
Many years ago, I learned that the normal thread (? -- sold as unbleached
linen) that was available was actually bleached and then sized with soap and
silicon. Feeling that soap and silicon may not be good for thread, I opted to
size the thread myself -- using parrafin. However, lately, I have not been
using any wax. The thread I buy is soft (Satin Finish -- as designated by the
manufacturer). When I choose a thread for a book, I tend to use a heavier
thread because, since it is soft, it can conform better inside the signature,
i.e. flatten if needed for the correct swell.
For those who are interested, I did write an article for the ABBEY NEWSLETTER
(1997 v. 21) and in PAPER CONSERVATION NEWS (England) (No. 87, 1998). The
article that appeared in the PCN was titled: WHERE CAN I GET GOOD-QUALITY
SEWING THREAD? While a few people expressed a similar interest, I did not
hear from any manufacturers.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695