Re: Archival Inks

 Anybody know anything about Techtronix/Xerox solid ink technology? FYI, I
> have a request in to the Xerox folks about the longevity, etc. of this
type
> of printing. Found out about it on the Cons DistList today when somebody
> posted a request for more info, thought y'all might have some info or be
> interested.

We use Xerox solid ink printers at work also (mainly for the "free black
ink for life" policy of Xerox) They produce brilliant colors that are
nearly as good as dye-sublimation printers at a fraction of the cost. In
fact, I think that their cost per page is slightly below LaserJets.

However, it's still a thermoplastic printing process. when the Ink heats
up, even on the page, it becomes more plastic and subject to damage. You
can feel the surface of a printed page and it feels almost like waxed
paper. Ink sticking to smooth flat surfaces is still a problem as are
pages sticking together.

It survives paper abuse better, so water damage and even creases in the
paper don't seem to cause damage as bad as a normal LaserJet. There is a
definate "thickness" to the ink though. almost like raised ink on business
cards, though not as pronounced.

I don't know about the color fastness as the technology hasn't been around
that long here. Documents not exposed to light show no sign of
degredation, but I can't find an example older than one year that has been
exposed consistently.

Randy