From: Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.philobiblon.com
[mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of James Tapley
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 11:00 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: bonding titanium to binder's board

I wish to inlay some course edged 20 gauge titanium plates into a leather
over board binding, slightly countersinking the metal and leaving exposed
the
titanium/leather meeting edges. Rivets or soldered clench pins are not
possibilities. Does anyone have any real world experience with adhesives
(I'm
thinking an epoxy) for this application? Any suggestions?
I've checked both the archives and THIS TO THAT, as well as some specialty
web sites for epoxies. My chief concern is that over time, with their
different coefficients of expansion, the plates will want to pop free of the
board substrate, or cause the board to delaminate locally. Beyond climate
control, how does one minimize this possibility?
Thank you, and best
James