Apprenticeship announcement

Greetings from Waterleaf Mill & Bindery:

I'm writing you to let you all know that I have had a cancellation from my
expected apprentice. She was coming for 3 months starting in March 1,
20002. Well, she fell on some ice, and is flat on her back for the next few
months! Poor thing.

So, there's a space in my brand new studio in Santa Maria CA, for a full
time apprentice for March, April and May. Santa Maria is on the central
coast of California, about 1/2 hour south of San Luis Obispo and 1 hour
north of Santa Barbara. Allow me to quote from my own Apprentice Program
brochure:
_________________________

"Waterleaf Mill & Bindery and Pequeno Press offer traditional
apprenticeships to those interested in learning the techniques of
papermaking, marbling and bookbinding; also the process of limited edition
book production and the ins and outs of running a small business. The
position is unpaid, and we don't charge for training. Apprentices are
expected to assist on any project in the studio, whether it's the
papermaker's helper or marbling chemical mixer or whatever, there's alot to
learn by doing. Working in the bindery consists of boxmaking, binding the
limited ediitons we produce (we specialize in miniature books) and learning
about book design.

Apprentice do some ordinary chores in the studio, like providing assistance
with promotional mailings and advertising flyers. Work hours are from
1:00pm to 5:pm five days a week, and time before and after work and on
weekends is for private projects the apprentice is expected to produce. All
studio equipment and machinery is at their disposal (not including paper,
paints and dyes, etc. -- the "used up" things must be supplied or paid
for). The training here is usually on a one-to-one, private basis unless we
are holding an occasional class. Assisting in the workshops is also one of
the duties of the apprentice, however, most of the time, BOOKBINDING will
be the primary occupation.

Our extensive studio library will be available as well as workshop notes
and handouts for the various techniques. Apprentices are encouraged to take
advantage of these during off-hours. And I am always available to help out
with the private projects of the apprentices.

To apply, write us about yourself, your education, interests, work
background and reasons for your wanting to learn book arts at Waterleaf
Mill & Bindery. We'd also like to see a few samples or photos of any work
you've done in recent past. Since this is an unpaid position, you should
carefully consider your income or financial assistance before you come. We
offer a (brand new) apartment behind the bindery for apprentices at a very
nominal rent. We require a term of two months minimum stay."

I know this is short notice, but there must be someone who can accomodate
the starting date (which is negotiable, by the way). The position will go
to the first one who can commit definitely! Otherwise, we could schedule
you for the Winter months... the summer, I think, is filled, as well as Fall.

Please think about this and get back to me soon if you are at all interested.

Cordially,

Pat Baldin
mailto:patbooks@mindspring.com