Re: Selling to Collections

In a message dated 3/1/02 6:19:26 AM, emilyjmartin@MCHSI.COM writes:

<< To echo Laurie's comment. Most institutions have fiscal years running 7/1
6/30. There is usually little point in contacting places near the end of
fiscal
years. Some curators will hold things into the next year but not usually new
artists.
Emily Martin >>

On the other hand, you could have the experience I did in Denver in 1996. The
Denver Public Library's fiscal year was nearing its end and they had some
money to spend. I had the good fortune of meeting with the head of special
collections who had taken some classes in book making and so knew the time
and energy that had gone into my books. Several were purchased for their
collection as a result. I agree that you should make an appointment, but
don't let your assumptions about what kind of funding they MIGHT have
available be your guide. And although I did make an appointment, I hadn't
scheduled a trip to Denver just for this purpose. It was the other way
around, i.e., I was going to be in Denver anyway and contacted the library
after I was already there. Barbara Harman