Re: Digital Domesday Book lasts 15 years not 1000

Dean:

Are you asserting that digital technology will not become obsolete, or
that it is "extremely durable and longlasting"? If so you're sorely
mistaken. I learned this lesson a few years ago when I was barely able
to save a journal I had written using an early word processor program;
both the media on which the file was stored, as well as the file format,
were obsolete. It took a number of cycles of copying onto newer machines
to bring the file into a format and onto a media that I could use. And
this after only a few years. What are your grandchildren going to do
with a floppy disk that they find in your attic a hundred years from now?

With any digital format, unless it is regularly updated to new formats
and media, you will have a difficult if not impossible time reading it
after just a few years.

Karl F. Best
karl@karlbest.com                "A Luddite with a Laptop..."
Chelmsford, MA