Re: Digital Domesday Book lasts 15 years not 1000

In a message dated 3/4/02 5:16:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, karl@KARLBEST.COM
writes:

<< Are you asserting that digital technology will not become obsolete, or
 that it is "extremely durable and longlasting"?  >>

If you carefully read what I wrote, you would understand that this is not,
repeat not, what I was saying.

<<With any digital format, unless it is regularly updated to new formats
and media, you will have a difficult if not impossible time reading it
after just a few years.>>

Any digital format... after just a few years?  I can't agree.

For example: The music CD format (whatever color book it is) has been around
for several decades now and it is hard to see how it is going to become
anywhere near obsolete in the near term.  There certainly are many billions
(BILLIONS AND BILLIONS) of music CDs in use today. There are probably also
billions of music CD players in use today.  Thefore, the idea that this
digital format will become obsolete in just a few years is absolute, utter
nonsense.

Which is my point: No matter how many techonologies become obsolete,  some
technologies (digital included) will be long lasting.

Regards,
Dean Fletcher