Scripps College Press 60th Birthday Party

We are pleased to invite you to 60th Birthday events
at Scripps College in Claremont, California,
celebrating the founding of the Scripps College Press in 1941.

Frederic W. Goudy Lecture
March 9, 2002 at 8:00 p.m.
Hedi Kyle
The Book in Your Hand: It=92s Not All About Reading
Humanities Auditorium, Scripps College

Frederic W. Goudy Workshop
March 9=9610, 2002
Hedi Kyle
The Voluminous Page
Scripps College Press

Hedi Kyle is one of the foremost practitioners of the book arts.
We are delighted to invite her to return a second time to Scripps College.
Hedi Kyle is Head Conservator at the American Philosophical Society
and Adjunct Professor at the University of the Arts, both in Philadelphia.
At the University, she teaches book structures to MFA students of the
graduate program in Book Arts and Printmaking. She graduated from the
Werk Kunst Schule in Wiesbaden, Germany. After a brief period as a
graphic designer, her interest shifted to book arts and book conservation.
Her one-of-a-kind constructions have been exhibited internationally
and are in private and public collections. She is co-founder of PBI,
Paper and Book Intensive, and has given workshops in the United States,
Canada, Switzerland, and Germany for more than twenty years.

Thirty Over Fifteen: Books at the Scripps College Press
Exhibition at the Clark Humanities Museum
March 4 =96 April 10, 2002
Opening Reception Saturday, March 9=20
5:00-6:15 p.m.

The Art of Teaching
Exhibition at Denison Library
January 28 =96 April 2, 2002
Work of Faculty at the Scripps College Press, 1941-2002
Mary Treanor (1941=9642)
Ward Ritchie (1942=961946)
Dr. Joseph Foster (1947=961971)
Christine Bertelson (1980=961985)
Susan King (1985=961986)
Kitty Maryatt (1986=96present)

Brad and Mary Anne Blaine Faculty Lecture Series
April 1, 2002 at 7:00 p.m.
Kitty Maryatt
Fabrications: Genesis of Ideas for Scripps College Press Books
Hampton Room, Scripps College

Malott Commons Lecture
March 26, 2002 at 12:00 noon
Susan King
Redressing the 60=92s: What Artists Wore, Lessons =E0 la Mode
Hampton Room, Scripps College

Fine Arts Foundation Lecture
April 10, 2002 at 2:00 p.m.
Kitty Maryatt
Deep Rooted at Scripps
Humanities Auditorium, Scripps College

ALSO

Announcing the newest publication from the
Scripps College Press:

Deep Rooted

For our sixtieth anniversary, we  generated a book on a unique
Scripps aspect: the newly formed Tree Tour,
conceived by Scripps student Megan Ritchie.=20
The tour highlights twenty-four examples from over one hundred
tree species on campus. Megan led the tour, providing insight from her depth=
=20
of experience with trees. Newliterary descriptions ensued for this book.=20
Students next painted the unripped pages with walnut ink,=20
allowing their tree experiences to inform the movements.=20
Finally, stories directly or obliquely inspired by the campus=20
trees emerged. The process started on September  fth,=20
just before the events of September eleventh.=20
Some could not help but write stores that re ected this event.=20
There are 112 pages. Size is 7.5 x 10.5. On Zerkall paper,=20
painted with walnut ink, bound in bark paper. Edition: 75 copies. $125.=20
Add 8.25% tax if in California and $6 shipping.

Out of our 31 books published since 1986, only our last book,
On the Impact of Expectations, is still available
for $160 plus tax and shipping.

For further information contact
Kitty Maryatt, Director of the Scripps College Press
1030 Columbia Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
(909) 607-3866
KMaryatt@ScrippsCollege.edu