Re: Digital Domesday Book lasts 15 years not 1000

Hmmm... ever heard of the eight-track tape? Where can I go to buy a
player for those tapes in my basement? Yes, the 20 year old CD format is
very successful, but are you aware that the music industry is developing
new CD formats? I give the current format another 10 to 20 years before
it is difficult to find a new CD player.

Popular commercial content (e.g. music) isn't such an issue, as it is in
the manufacturers' interest to continue to supply you with new versions
as new electronic formats are developed. But what about those digital
snapshots of your kids in the bathtub? If you don't move them to new
media and formats every few years you won't have anything to embarrass
them with when they're grown.

Printing was a worthy successor to hand lettering because it was more
efficient for the manufacturer -- and didn't require new machinery for
the consumer. If you want to save your digital snapshots then print them
out and save the prints -- but how to do that in the most archivally
sound manner is another topic.

Karl F. Best
karl@karlbest.com                "A Luddite with a Laptop..."
Chelmsford, MA