Re: Digital Domesday Book lasts 15 years not 1000

Yours being the third message I see upon subscribing to the list, I see
I am in good company with at least one speaker of Gecquoise, the
language of geeks, complete with the proper tone of voice and arch of
eyebrow when folks Forget the Obvious.
We won't go into readability of format, then, or what happens when no
one has 8" floppy disk drives anymore for those grand 735K disks of
yore? or batch readers for that deck of punchcards (currenlty more
stable a backup than the 8" magnetic), or that cool ProntoDOS database...

Angela Fisk quoted:
> >On the contrary, many technologies are extremely durable and longlasting.
and commented:
> Being always mindful of magnets, voltage spikes, lightening, and EMPs
> (electromagnetic pulses) which can completely wipe out your data without
> chance of retrieval within seconds (unless it is an optical storage device
> which can still be melted or otherwise mechanically damaged). Just a happy
> little thought form a computer geeks' wife.
> Angela

There is still reason for paper. *whew*

Ruth Temple