Re: Printers, etc.

---  Katie Harper <knharper@FUSE.NET> wrote:
I'm looking for advice on purchasing an ink jet printer. I understand that
for longevity of inks, the Epson is the way to go (with their new generation
of printers, such as the C80 and the 2000). However, others have said that
if you are going to put odd types of paper, cloth or other media through the
printers, that HP is superior.
--- end of quote ---

When I was making the decision to buy a printer several years ago, I had the
chance to borrow an HP.  At least at that time, their design was a paper tray on
the front of the machine, which meant the paper had to bend around and about for
180 degrees while it was being printed.  There was no direct straight feed
option.

The Epson I ended up purchasing (I have a Color Stylus 800 -- shows how long ago
this was!) feeds the paper at just a slight angle -- perhaps 20-25 degrees -- so
you can print on stiffer papers.  I have printed on Rives BFK heavy and many
different weights of hand made paper.

I will admit I haven't taken the plunge into archival inks yet.  Suppose I
should but its just one more think on an already crowded plate.

Eric

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator
 bookbinder@dartmouth.edu