Re: Crayon removal

Try VM&P naptha to dissolve the wax away, then it should be possible
to brush most of the pigment away.

There may be a tideline from the naptha, so it may be necessary to lay
a sheet of Mylar under the page being treated and work the tideline off
the edges.  Then lay a thin blotter on top of the page, and another
sheet of Mylar and give the book a quick nip.

Open, remove the top sheet of Mylar and the blotter and air dry.

Jack

>I wonder if there is someone out there with a solution for removing crayon
>from books. I have a customer with a child's book (now out of print) that
>they would like to  clean up. It has two or three pages of blue crayon
>scribbling in it.
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Dave
>
>David Allen
>Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
>840 Snowdrop Avenue
>Victoria, British Columbia
>CANADA  V8Z 2N4
>(250) 888-9380