Re: Highlighter removal

Robin Thurlow wrote:

> How would one go about removing (or making less obvious) markings from a
> highlighter?  I remember a thing called a "clear blender" which was a
> colorless marker used for softening marker color gradations in artwork.  I
> think it only contained acetone.

We once "cleaned" a book that had multiple colors of highlighter and marginalia
written in ink on almost every page.  We removed the case, put the whole
textblock into a container filled with ethanol (with a tight lid), and waited.
It took just a few minutes for the ethanol to change color - to a deep purple,
quite beautiful.  We changed the bath a couple of times (leaving it not more
than 5 minutes at time), and ended up with just faint impressions of the ink
and very little of the highlighter.  Then we just had to dry and press the
textblock back into shape.  It's not perfect, but certainly much more readable
than it was before treatment.

Ann Frellsen
Collections Conservator
Preservation Office,  Woodruff Library, Rm. 127
Emory University Libraries
Atlanta, GA  30322-2870
phone: 404-727-0307         FAX  404-727-0053