Disappearing Ink

Hello Everyone,
   I have been following with interest the suggestions
on removing highlighter inks, and I have a related question:
   I am trying to remove ink stains from old vellum, and
have had no luck so far. I have tried a variety of solvents
(ethyl alcohol, xylene, toluene, MEK, ethyl acetate, napthalene
and a few others) without making any headway. Scraping
or erasing is not working---the vellum immediately frays.
It is calfskin prepared for manuscript, English, c. 1705,
and the ink splashes in question appear to be iron
gall ink, and REALLY stubborn.
Thanks so much!

Bill Cotter
Milou Bookbinding & Conservation