Scoring for signatures?

Hello all. I'm doing letterpress printing of a book for a local artist. The
book is going to be case bound by a local bindery, with three signatures of
four folios. The artist has asked if I can score the paper, and I replied
that yes, I can. But now I'm wondering... is it ok to mechnically score
these pieces of paper if they are going to be mechnically sewn? Doesn't the
scoring weaken the paper fibres too much? The paper is domestic etch (50%
rag, acid free.)

Katie Harper
Ars Brevis Press
Cincinnati, OH