workshop ideas

I have been asked to teach a couple "Materials handling and book repair" workshops to new librarians. They will be 2 hours long with 30-35 people in each of the 2 sessions.

I would really like to give them some kind of hands-on experience during this time. I'd like to do this because it is a better and fun way to learn, and nobody is interested in hearing me talk for 2 hours. I am, however, stumped over what I could have them do. Big considerations are providing the materials for 70 people to do the task and it being simple enough that I don't need to assist each person.

One thought I had was to have the handouts printed as a booklet which they could sew together.

I'd appreciate hearing others ideas, or any sage advice on leading this type of workshop.

Kevin Driedger
Lansing, Michigan