Re: workshop ideas

Kevin-
I teach a similar class - and it meets 5 times for 3 hours at a time and I
still don't think that is enough time - so you are definitely challenged to
present this in 2 hours.  Because of that time constraint you may want to
consider setting up several easy repairs in stations that you could
demonstrate for the more common book repairs - paper mending, hinge
tightening, repairing interior hinges, tipping in pages and
rebacking.  Even if you wanted to choose one of those as a hands-on - you'd
have to collect 70 books for them to practice on - not always an easy thing
to do.  (With the exception of page mending - which you could have then do
by tearing one of the pages in their handout and have them repair that.)
I agree that doing a figure 8 sewing stitch might be just the right thing
to have them do on their own - and do a blow-up diagram of the stitch
included in their handouts.
I think it might be more important to expose them to the types of repairs
that are possible (and not possible) given the different types of leaf
attachments and paper quality - than it would be for them to have actual
hands-on experience in this short time frame.
Hope this helps.
If you'd like more info - feel free to contact me.
Michelle Venditelli